For those in the know, Fashion Week is the most exciting event of the year. As every runway season rolls around, hundreds of fashion elite pour into the fashion capitals of the world to spot the latest trends. But if there’s one surefire way to be sure you’re seeing the best of what Fashion Week has to offer, it’s keeping an eye on the front row. Here we look at spotting the fashion elite at Fashion Week, and the stand-out looks they are sure to be sporting.
1. Fast-Tracking to the Front Row: A Guide to Fashion Week
Attending a fashion week is a dream of many. It can be overwhelming- daunting even!- to know where to start. This guide focuses on the how-to for grabbing a front row seat and surviving the week in style.
- First and foremost: dress to impress!
- Plan ahead –– know when to arrive, bring back-up batteries for your devices, etc.
- Be friendly! Everyone on the front row is part of the scene and dressing the part includes the attitude.
Networking is Key
- Research designers, photographers, and stylists. Know who they are and what they do.
- Follow fashion influencers who attend the event and interact with them.
- If you haven’t, sign up for events related to the fashion week and familiarize yourself with the arena.
Fashion Week Enthusiasts
- If you’re attending alone, or need company, seek out others that are also interested in the fashion industry.
- Look for people who have a purpose, drive, and energy in that environment. These people often become the movers and shakers of the scene.
- Strike up conversations with others with plenty of enthusiasm and openness.
- Once you have gone past the front row, you need to grab chances to make yourself noticed.
- Go around, ask questions, observe conversations, take pictures, and even offer assistance to organizers.
- If you do end up making a favourable impression in the fashion arena, you’ll have a shot at getting that all-important front row.
2. From the Pavement to the Catwalk – Where to Find the Fashion Set
When it comes to the fashion set, there are a few key places and people to look for. Whether you’re trying to find an up-and-coming designer, eyeing someone inspiring for your next street look, or just want to know what the industry insiders are up to, these are the places and personas you should be paying attention to:
- The Runway – From the international shows of the runway calendar to the small local presentations and galleries, seeing a collection in person is often the best way to discover the latest trends and creative directions. Don’t be afraid to attend shows – the fashion world loves an enthusiastic audience of newbies.
- The Social Scene – From celebrity events to club parties, the world of fashion has its own social circle. Social media is often the best way to stay on top of what events and soirees are happening when. Check out hashtag feeds for the latest fashion news.
- Online Presence – From the bloggers creating the latest trends to start-up sites where you can find up-and-coming designers, the internet is a powerful tool that everyone should be utilizing. Websites like Instagram and Twitter give us direct access to the fashion community.
The Designers – The most powerful trendsetters come from the fashion houses and are often sought after for their unique vision. Taking inspiration from these designers is a safe way to explore the trends and find out what’s really ‘in’. You don’t have to dress exactly like them to get their influence, but it certainly helps.
The Boutiques – From vintage to urban streetwear, boutiques are a great place to find unique looks. Many cities have dedicated fashion boutiques that stay on the forefront of the trends. Be sure to keep an eye on these creative havens.
These are only some of the places to find the fashion set. To truly stay on the cutting edge of fashion, you will need to do a little bit of research to really connect to the people and places that make the industry tick.
3. Glimpsing the Greats: Trends and Highlights From Fashion Week’s Front Row
Fashion week is a whirlwind of fabrics and styles, and the daring front row fashions have us in a frenzy. From bold cuts and bright colors to vintage inspiration and muted tones, there is a lot to love about this season’s styles.
The Supermodels: Some of the most recognizable faces in fashion showed up to grace the catwalk. From Gigi Hadid to Bella Hadid, these long-time supermodels certainly had the crowd cheering as they strut their stuff.
The Style Stars: Fashion week is also a great platform for established fashion icons, like Anna Wintour, Karl Lagerfeld, and Donatella Versace. Seeing their looks up close was a sight to behold – even for celebrities in attendance!
The Street Styles: Off the runway, guests were making a splash with their own unique style choices. From out-of-the-box silhouettes to daring color palettes, we’ve seen it all. Here are some of our favorites from this season:
- Fanny packs and statement bags – giving new life to the forgotten accessory.
- Oversized coats and knitted sweaters – perfect for the cold weather.
- Colorful prints – inspired by nature.
The Showstoppers: Even off the runway, guests were turning heads with their incredible ensembles. All it takes is a good tailor, a few couture pieces, and the right attitude to really stand out in the crowd. Our favorite looks from this season? Lady Gaga’s blue cat suit – complete with gold shoulder pads – and Lupita Nyong’o’s vibrant jumpsuit were simply unforgettable.
4. Join the Elite: Scoring a Front Row Seat at Fashion Week
Every fashionista dreams of a front row seat at Fashion Week. With celebrities, VIPs, and members of the press vying for the same seats, it can be difficult to join the elite – but believe it or not, there are a few key strategies that can increase your chances:
- Be Connected. One of the best ways to get a coveted invitation is to build relationships with people in the fashion industry. Make sure your social media posts have a particular focus on fashion, and find any relevant events or networking opportunities to introduce yourself.
- Get the Look. Once you’ve made consistent connections and cultivated your personal style, you’ll need to get the right look for a front row seat at Fashion Week. Your outfit should match the style of the event, so do your research and try to dress slightly more formally than other attendees – think classic silhouettes, simple yet elegant accessories and polished makeup.
- Socialize Away from the Catwalk. The catwalk is the main attraction, but there’s more to Fashion Week than what you can see on the runways. Mingle at the afterparties, backstage events, and exhibitions to meet the key players. Attending people’s events will make you more visible and provide opportunities to show off your own style.
- Introduce Yourself at the Right Time. Most fashion shows are booked months, if not a year in advance. To get the best seat in the house, you’ll need to plan in advance and research the shows you want to attend. Reach out to the fashion houses and inquire about seating availability – if you’re lucky, you may get the nod from the hard-to-reach VIP list.
It may seem like an intimidating process, but scoring a spot on a fashion show’s front row isn’t out of reach. Get out there, make connections, and create your own red carpet moment – you may be surprised at what you can achieve.
As this year’s Fashion Week draws to a close, it’s clear to see that the fashion elite had a lot to offer. They set the tone and standard for the season, and the next, with their unique bold styles, eclectic accessories, and truly inspiring creativity. With the front row of the fashion shows a hotbed of fashion powerhouses, it’s going to be an exciting time to see what the fashion world brings to us in the upcoming months.